Monday, June 17, 2013

NUELOW Heroes & Villains: Jimnast

Here's another superhero character background based on a character created by Carter-Ethan Rankin and released into the public domain. The character name and illo is free for all to use, but the rest of the material in this post is presented under the Open Gaming License. Copyright 2013 Steve Miller.

Jimnast (aka James "Jim". Nast)
Jimnyst (Male)
(aka James "Jim" Nast)
Brawn 23, Body 14, Brains 5
   Traits: Dumb, Martial Artist, Sense of Honor
   Combat Maneuvers: Backflip, Basic Attack, Kung Fu Face, Murderous Mitts, Signature Move
   Important Stuff Worn/Wielded:  Superhero Outfit (Armor, absorbs up to 1 point of damage). Reusable shopping bag full of purchases (Medium Melee Weapon, deals 3 points of damage).

Origin Story
James Nast was working as the personal trainer of Texas cattle-heiress Kate Crawford when a dropped cell call changed his life forever.
   He was on his way to Kate's ranch for their weekly session when she called him on his mobile. "Jimmy, I need you to stop [garbled] and pick up [garbled]. Got that, dar[garbled... silence]." The message shouldn't have made any sense, but somehow Jimmy knew that Kate wanted him stop by several stores for a variety of food items, bandages,ammunition, feminine hygiene products, and to collect her dry cleaning.. Jim, happy to please a nice client, all the errands... and was greeted with amazement when he arrived at Kate's mansion.
   "I wasn't sure if you actually got my message," she said. "And all I wanted you do to was pick up my dry cleaning."
   "You did want me to get these other things?" Jim asked.
   "Well, yes. Well, a friend--"
   "Don't worry, Ms. Crawford. It happens all the time. I guess I have a knack for knowing what people need me to get for them from the store. But I;m wrong, I'll be happy to keep the stuff. Although I don't know what I'll do with these bandages. Or all these bullets."
   "Jim," Ms. Crawford said after looking thoughtful for a moment, "there is someone I would like you to meet. I'll call him up and he'll be here by the time we're done with our session."
   To Jim's amazement, that "someone" was American Eagle, the leader of Patriotic American Native Superheroes (PANS). He scanned Jim with an odd device and then stated that Jim had the oddball superpower of knowing what a person wants him to get from the store without even being told. To Kate Crawford, American Eagle said, "You're right. He's exactly what we need."
   That's when Kate revealed her secret identity as Texas Hellion to Jim, and stated that she and other select members of PANS wanted to hire him as their personal shopper. "It's really hard to get to the store when you're constantly saving the world," she said.
   "We'll provide you with a vehicle, an expense account, and a wage above prevailing market norms," American Eagle added.
   "Do I get to wear a superhero costume?!" Jim asked.
   "If you must," American Eagle responded. "But--"
   "Excellent! It'll be yellow with silver boots! I'll be.... The Shopper!"
   "I think Jiminey or the Jimmenest might be even better," American Eagle replied curtly.
   "Hush," Kate said.
   But Jim didn't notice American Eagle's coolness. "It's clever because it's a pun!" He exclaimed with excitement. "Gymnast! It's perfect! Instead of advertising what my powers are, it obscures them. And it keeps it open for if I ever need to branch out into other super-stuff."
   "Which you will never need to," American Eagle stated firmly
   "You sketch up a costume idea, and fax it to this number, Jim," Kate said. "That's the designer PAN works with, and he'll do you right."
   Next week, after Jim completed his first personal-shopping job for Texas Hellion, he arrived at her house in his new superhero costume.
   "Here you do, Hellion. Or do you prefer Tex?"
   "Kate when I'm not in uniform." She looked at Jim wonderingly. "Did you decide against Gymnast?"
   "No ma'am. The Gymnast that's me!"
   "Then what does the 'J' stand for?"
    Now it was Jim's turn to look wonderingly. "For Gymnast."
   "Gymnast? J for Gymnast?"
   "Yeah. J-I-M-N-A-S-T." Then he looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, Kate. Do you have trouble with spelling? I didn't meant to make you feel bad. I know what it's like. I'm not very good at it myself."
   "You don't say?" Kate responded.
   Jim now travels throughout America, keeping the homes of PAN members well-stocked with basic essentials (and even picking up their dry cleaning at time)
 
Powers
Jimnyst has a very limited precognative ability: He knows what a targeted person needs from the store, perhaps even before that person does. He has no powers that are useful in combat, although he is a highly trained martial artist.

Enemies and Allies
No supervillains have yet seen fit to target Jimnyst, and they may never do so--who would want to invite the wrath of the entirety of PAN by messing with their personal shopper? Meanwhile, he has become fast friends with Texas Hellion, Hot Shot, and Butts Pirate, so he is often available to lend an extra hand on their missions and they're often nearby if he should be in trouble.

(For ROLF! game stats for American Eagle, Butts Pirate, Texas Hellion, and 15 other heroes and villains, check out POTS vs. PANS.)

No comments:

Post a Comment