Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Stories in six words

There's a legend that Ernest Hemingway was trying to bum a drink of a friend, and that he ultimately succeeded by proving he could write a story in less than ten words. His story was, supposedly, just six words long:

 For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.

 It's a fun little game to play, but I have to admit that I seem to need seven or eight words at least to make a story I'm happy with. Nonetheless, I'm toying with the idea of including a few super-short Battle Scenarios in upcoming ROLF! scenarios. Does anyone out there have an opinion? Or maybe some less-than-10-word scenarios to contribute? Post 'em below, or send them to us here at NUELOW Games via email. Meanwhile, here are a few of my more successful attempts six-word stories.

  "I'm no Hemingway," his killer said.

  She returned. Emma was soon avenged.

  He rolled the dice and danced.


The joy of writing six word stories!

2 comments:

  1. She is nice to look at but murder to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not noticed this post?!

    Thanks for responding to my little game (he said, a year late!)

    ReplyDelete