Wednesday, August 12, 2026

RPG-a-Day #27: Regret (A Ghost of Hong Kong story)

Today's post is a bit of cheat. The idea came to me a couple weeks ago when I was considering various options for the keywords of the monthly challenge; this basic story idea worked for Familiarity and Regret both. The problem is that it's a story and not at all gameable. Does this mean I've failed this year's challenge? Even if I have, I lasted longer than I have in previous years AND fans of the Ghost of Hong Kong have another story to read! So -- no regrets!


THE ONE NAME

The Tokaido Shinkansen cut through the Japanese countryside at three hundred kilometers per hour, its sleek white body barely whispering against the rails. Inside the business-class carriage, the woman sat with her hands folded in her lap, watching the landscape blur past the window. She wore a charcoal Armani suit tailored to conceal the lean muscle beneath, her dark hair pulled back in a simple chignon. To the other passengers, she appeared to be just another corporate executive traveling between Tokyo and Osaka—unremarkable, forgettable, exactly as she intended.


 The man who sat down across from her was in his fifties, impeccably dressed in a navy suit that probably cost more than most people earned in a month. His face carried the weathered dignity of someone who had survived decades in a world that consumed the weak. He settled into his seat with the careful movements of a man whose body remembered old injuries, then looked directly at her.

"I know who you are," he said quietly in Japanese.

She didn't respond, didn't change her expression. Her eyes remained fixed on the window, though her peripheral vision now tracked every movement he made.

"You're the Ghost of Hong Kong," he continued. His voice carried neither fear nor challenge, just a weary certainty. "I hired you two years ago. The matter in Yokohama."

Now she turned to look at him fully. Recognition flickered—yes, she remembered. A mid-level yakuza lieutenant who needed a rival removed without the usual territorial complications. Clean work, professional payment, no complications.

"Kenji Tanaka," he said, as if introducing himself at a business meeting. "I know why you're here. I'm... relieved, actually."

She said nothing, waiting.

Tanaka leaned back in his seat, his hands resting on his thighs. Around them, other passengers dozed or worked on laptops, oblivious to the conversation unfolding in their midst. The train's gentle motion created an odd intimacy, a confessional booth traveling at impossible speed.

"Thirty-five years," he said. "That's how long it took me to climb from street enforcer to kumicho. Thirty-five years of doing things that..." He paused, searching for words. "Things that have made it impossible to sleep."

She remained silent, her face a mask of professional neutrality.

"The first girl was in 1989," Tanaka said, his voice dropping lower. "Fourteen years old, from a village in Tohoku. Her parents sold her to pay gambling debts—two million yen they'd lost at pachinko parlors over three years. I was twenty-three, still proving myself. My oyabun handed me the keys to a room in Kabukicho and told me to break her. Make her understand what she was now, what she would always be."

His hands tightened on his thighs, knuckles whitening.

"I told myself it was just business. That she was already sold, already lost, and if I didn't do it, someone else would. Someone crueler." He exhaled slowly. "I spent three days in that room with her. The first day she screamed and fought. The second day she only cried. By the third day, she just stared at the wall. Wouldn't eat. Wouldn't speak. Her eyes were open but empty, like someone had reached inside and turned off whatever made her human."

The woman's expression didn't change, but something shifted in the quality of her attention—a predator's focus narrowing.

"We sold her to a brothel in Kabukicho. She lasted six months before she hanged herself with a bedsheet. I found out later her name was Yuki. She'd wanted to be a teacher." Tanaka's voice remained steady, clinical, as if he were reading from a financial report. "I didn't think about her for years. Then one night I dreamed I was back in that room, and she was staring at me with those empty eyes, and I realized I couldn't remember what her face looked like before I broke her. I can only remember what I made her become."

A businessman two rows ahead laughed at something on his phone. Outside, rice paddies gave way to industrial zones, the countryside transforming as they approached Nagoya.

"That was just the beginning," Tanaka continued. "Over the years, there were dozens more. Hundreds, maybe. Girls from the Philippines, Thailand, China, Eastern Europe. We told them they'd be waitresses, factory workers, entertainers. We showed them contracts, promised them visas and good wages. Instead, we confiscated their passports the moment they arrived and put them in cages."

He paused, watching the countryside blur past the window.

"Some fought back. Those ones we made examples of. I remember one girl from Moldova—couldn't have been more than sixteen, though her documents said eighteen. She tried to escape during her second week, made it three blocks before we caught her. My oyabun wanted to send a message to the others, so I..." He swallowed hard. "I broke both her legs with a baseball bat. Made the other girls watch. Told them this is what happens when you forget what you are, when you forget who owns you."
She watched him with the detached interest of a surgeon observing symptoms.

"She screamed for hours before we finally let her pass out. We kept her working anyway—told the customers she was into rough play, that the casts were part of a fantasy. She brought in more money after that, actually. Men paid extra for the broken ones." His voice carried no emotion now, just the flat recitation of facts. "Her name was Irina. She had a younger sister back home she was trying to support. I found that out later, when we processed her paperwork. The sister was twelve."

The train's PA system announced their approach to Nagoya Station in ten minutes.

"The murders were easier, in a way," Tanaka said. "At least those ended quickly. I killed my first man when I was nineteen—a Korean loan shark who was operating in our territory. Stabbed him thirty-seven times in an alley behind a pachinko parlor. I can still remember the sound the knife made going between his ribs, like cutting into a watermelon. After that, it got easier. Rivals, informants, anyone who threatened the organization. I used knives, guns, my bare hands. Once I drowned a man in a public bath because he'd been skimming from our protection rackets. Held his head under the water for four minutes while he thrashed and clawed at my arms. The other patrons just looked away."

"But the worst..." Tanaka's voice cracked slightly. "The worst was what I did to my own people. My kyodai—my sworn brothers. In 1997, there was a power struggle. My oyabun was getting old, and three of us were positioned to succeed him. I was the youngest, the least likely. So I made a deal with the Inagawa-kai, gave them information about our operations in exchange for their help eliminating my rivals."

He looked directly at her now, his eyes carrying a weight that seemed to age him another decade.
"The first one, Nakamura, they killed in a car bomb. His wife and two children were in the car with him. The boy was six, the girl was four. I'd been to their apartment for dinner a dozen times. The kids called me uncle. After the funeral, Nakamura's wife looked at me and said, 'At least Kenji-san will find who did this.' I told her I would. I promised her."

Through the window, Nagoya's towers rose against the afternoon sky.

"The second rival, Yoshida, I handled myself. Invited him to a meeting at a warehouse in Yokohama. He came alone because he trusted me—we'd sworn our oaths together, cut our fingers together, bled together. When he bowed in greeting, I put a bullet in the back of his head. I wrapped his body in plastic and dumped it in Tokyo Bay. His family never found him. For all I know, they're still waiting."

"I became kumicho in 1998," Tanaka said. "Held the position for fifteen years. During that time, I expanded our trafficking operations into Southeast Asia. We moved more than two thousand women and girls through our network. I knew what was happening to them—the beatings, the rapes, the drugs we used to keep them compliant. I knew, and I didn't care. It was just business. Profit margins and market share. We had spreadsheets tracking productivity, customer satisfaction scores, replacement rates."
He pressed a hand to his chest, as if trying to hold something inside.

"Three years ago, there was a girl. Japanese, from a good family in Setagaya. She'd gotten involved with drugs, owed us money—three million yen she'd borrowed to support her habit. We took her as payment. She was nineteen, studying literature at Waseda University. Had her whole life ahead of her. I personally oversaw her... training. Made sure she understood there was no escape, no hope. She tried to kill herself twice. We stopped her both times, kept her working. Last I heard, she's in a brothel in Macau, completely broken. Doesn't even remember her own name anymore."

His voice dropped to barely above a whisper.

"I retired a year ago," Tanaka said. "Handed over control to my successor, took my money, bought a nice house in Kamakura. Thought I could just... disappear into private life, that the past would finally leave me alone. But six months ago, her mother found me anyway. Somehow she'd tracked me down, figured out I was connected to her daughter's disappearance. She came to my house on a Tuesday afternoon, a small woman maybe fifty. She bowed and begged me for information. Said she just wanted to know if her daughter was alive. I told her I didn't know what she was talking about. Had my men escort her out. She left a photograph on my study desk—the girl at her high school graduation, smiling, holding a bouquet of flowers. I burned it that night, but I can still see it when I close my eyes."

The train began its deceleration sequence, the whisper-quiet motion becoming even softer as they approached the station. Passengers around them gathered their belongings, preparing to disembark.

"Retirement is not what I'd hoped," Tanaka said. "Thought I could just... live out my remaining years in peace. But I can't sleep. Can't eat. Every time I close my eyes, I see their faces. The girls, the men I killed, my brothers I betrayed. The weight of it..." He pressed a hand to his chest. "It's crushing me. Every day, I wake up and think about ending it myself, but I'm too much of a coward. I deserve to die, but I can't even do that right."

He leaned forward slightly, his voice urgent now.

"So when I saw you board this train, when I recognized you, I knew. Someone finally hired you to finish what I should have done myself. And I'm grateful. I'm ready for the end."

The woman studied him for a long moment, her dark eyes unreadable. The train glided into Nagoya Station with barely a whisper, coming to rest with perfect precision. Around them, passengers stood and moved toward the exits. Then she rose to her feet with fluid grace, adjusting her suit jacket with precise movements.

"You are not who I'm here for," she said in Japanese, her voice carrying the faint accent of Hong Kong Cantonese.

Tanaka blinked, confusion replacing the resigned acceptance on his face. "What?"

"I have one contract," she said. "One name. You are not my target."

"But—"

"You want absolution," she continued, her tone clinical. "You want violent death to be the final chapter of your story, the dramatic ending. You want me to be the instrument of your redemption."

She picked up her small leather briefcase from the seat beside her.

"I'm not interested in giving you what you want, Tanaka-san. As far as I'm concerned, you should live a very long while with your guilt."

She walked past him toward the rear of the carriage, her heels clicking softly against the floor. Tanaka sat frozen, his mouth slightly open, watching her disappear through the connecting door between cars.

The train's doors opened. Passengers flowed out onto the platform. The PA system announced a two-minute stop before departure to Kyoto.

Tanaka remained in his seat, alone with the weight he had tried to transfer to someone else, the burden settling back onto his shoulders with crushing finality.

The doors closed. The train began moving again, pulling away from Nagoya Station with the same whisper-quiet efficiency. And Kenji Tanaka sat in the business-class carriage, sentenced to the one punishment he had never imagined: Survival.

--
If you liked this story, you can read more in The Ghost of Hong Kong and The Ghost of Hong Kong: Targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment